Connect with us

Featured News

Nigerian military claims fresh success against Boko Haram in Sambisa Forest

Published

on

Nigerian military claims fresh success against Boko Haram 2Nigeria’s military on Sunday claimed it had overrun 10 Boko Haram camps in the group’s Sambisa Forest stronghold, a day after the Islamists struck at a crowded bus station in the northeast, killing seven.

Nigerian military claims fresh success against Boko Haram 3Defence spokesman Chris Olukolade said a number of rebels were killed in the offensive in remote Borno state, while one soldier died in a landmine explosion and two others were injured. He said several Boko Haram members were also killed in the operation although the toll has not yet been confirmed. The heaviest fighting occurred in the Dure camp, one of the group’s most prominent camps in the forest, Olukolade said.

“The operation to clear the terrorists in Sambisa and other forests is continuing as troops in all fronts have been alerted to be on the look out for fleeing terrorists,” Olukolade said in an emailed statement.

“The Nigeria Air Force is maintaining an active air surveillance to track the movement of terrorists for appropriate action as the operation continues.”

On Saturday, seven people were killed and scores injured at a bus station in the Yobe state caNigerian military claims fresh success against Boko Harampital, Damaturu, which has been hit repeatedly during the six-year insurgency.

The attack again indicated the rebels’ ability to strike so-called “soft targets” and its persistent threat to civilians, despite claimed military gains in seizing captured towns and territory.

Nigerian troops have been seen as having the upper hand since February because of assistance from armies in neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

But on Friday, the deputy governor of Borno state said the strategic town of Marte, near Lake Chad where the four countries meet, had again fallen into Boko Haram hands.

In this photo made available by the Nigerian Military taken Tuesday, April 28, 2015, Nigerian military personnel in action during an attack on Islamic extremists in the Sambisa Forest, Nigeria. Nigeria's military rescued 234 more girls and women from a Boko Haram forest stronghold in the country's northeast, an announcement on social media said Saturday, May 2, 2015. (Nigerian Military via AP)

At least 55 people were killed last week in two raids on villages near the Borno state capital, Maiduguri — the first attacks in and around the city for three months.

Olukolade said in a separate statement that Marte had been “deserted”, with no military presence for “quite some time” because of the push against the militants in Sambisa Forest.

“Now that their (Boko Haram’s) presence is reported, the issue will definitely be addressed in a very short while,” he added.

“There is really no cause for alarm in the way some reports are presenting this situation as if it is a meaningful resurgence of terrorists.”

Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan is keen to announce that the militants have been cleared from the northeast before he leaves office at the end of the month.

But experts have warned against any premature declaration of victory, with the root causes of the conflict, particularly chronic social and economic deprivation in the region, yet to be addressed.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Featured News

APC Calls For Omo-Agege’s Prosecution Over Mace snatching

Published

on

By

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has condemned in totality, Wednesday’s attack on the Senate and the snatching on the Mace of the senate.

This is even as it has called on all security agencies to take all necessary actions to recover the stolen mace and ensure that the perpetrators and their sponsors are brought to justice.

In a statemnet issued by Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, National Publicity Secretary of the APC, the party said that the attack ammounted to an attack on the nation’s democracy.

“The attention of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has been drawn to the invasion of the Nigerian Senate by suspected thugs who disrupted Wednesday’s plenary and made away with the mace.

“The APC hereby condemns this action and views it as an attack on our democracy and a desecration of the hallowed institution of the National Assembly.

“We therefore call on security agencies to take all necessary actions to recover the stolen mace and ensure that the perpetrators and their sponsors are brought to justice.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Police has arrested Senator Ovie Omo Agege for leading the hoodlums into the Senate chamber during plenary to snatch the Mace which is the symbol of authority of the upper legislative chamber.

Continue Reading

Featured News

Mace Theft: Police Arrest Senator Omo-Agege

Published

on

By

The lawmaker was suspended by the Senate for 90 days last week. He, however, attended the plenary today.

The Senate had accused him of leading the armed men who stormed the chamber and snatched the mace while plenary was on.

After the plenary, policemen ushered Omo-Agege from the door of the chamber into a waiting pickup van.

Continue Reading

Featured News

Thugs Disrupt Senate Plenary, Steals Mace

Published

on

By

The Senate plenary was today disrupted after suspected thugs invaded the chamber and made away with the mace.

The incident happened few seconds after a suspended Senator, Ovie Omo-Agege entered the chamber.

About 10 suspected thugs who came to the venue with the senator forced their entrance into the chamber.

Seconds later, the thugs ran out of the chamber with the mace causing pandemonium in the Senate.

They left the National Assembly with the mace in a black SUV.

The mace is the symbol of authority of the parliament.

One of the security personnel at the entrance of the National Assembly said the thugs told him and other officers they were with the senator.

“We tried to stop them but they told us they were with him (Omo-Agege),” he said.

The Senate has accused a lawmaker, Ovie Omo-Agege, of leading hoodlums to seize the mace, which serves as the chamber’s symbol of authority.

In a statement after the incident on Wednesday, Senate spokesperson, Sabi Abdullahi, said the incident is an act of treason.

Credit: Premium Time

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2015 Designed by ViralTizing Media Developed by Delords Dream Light Media Limited

X